Monday, October 25, 2010

Back

Back to Work, I fear. Hectic holiday in Majorca, followed by readings in Edinburgh and Stirling. Have some treats to share, particularly a video of the mini Euro-Disco Lyd and Jaz attended every night while on holiday. In the meantime, poorer fare, two poems that came out of that week.





Tuesday Night, Majorca


Fronds hung with water like rope.
The raindrops are fat and white as opals:
I see a face in them,
framed by sky the colour of iron
and shredded cloud.

It is good to be off your head
somewhere new, where even the weather
has a different slant, fast and loud
and desperate to get to ground.
No lack of words:

the sea has no end and talks long
into the night like a mother tongue.
I sit and drink and watch the rain
while my girls, happy in any migrating,
sing like birds.






Poetry Doubles, Lesbos
(After the painting by Lawrence Alma-Tadema)


Alcaeus

Did you know Jimmy Hendrix pished on this lyre?
I’m behind it, hiding from those eyes of hers.
We’re in the annex of the Aesculapius Memorial Theatre
as Ovid’s got a translation of Rab Wilson next door.
No crowd in here, just some eco-poets from Santorini,
and my pal Alcetes at the back, drunk again.
Who’ll win the famous laurel wreath? Not me
with my smut: In Aphrodite’s Isle always,the girls win.


Sappho

I’m hurling love’s bolt smoking like the sea,
but he’s got a sidestep like James McFadden
and he’d sooner kiss a glass than me,
claims drink’s part of his religion.
So’s love, I say, but he’s either steaming
or singing comic songs about boats,
talking of which, I note,
the last one’s gone. In Aphrodite’s Isle always, the girls win.

7 comments:

Dave King said...

Not poorer fare, no, not at all. I was enjoying its simple clarity when POW!, from nowhwhere this:

No lack of words:

the sea has no end and talks long
into the night like a mother tongue.

Superb - but don't under-rate the rest!

Hugh McMillan said...

Cheers Dave, very kind indeed.

Gordon Mason said...

I agree with Dave, the sound of the foreign sea comes through in the poem. I also liked the images of the drops of water.

Rachel Fox said...

I always like to see a phrase like 'off your head' in a serious poem.
x

hope said...

I feared fame had you on a round the world tour. :)

Then again, that would mean you'd be round my way eventually.

Hugh McMillan said...

Thanks troops. I'm sorry I've been a very bad blogger recently. You commented on the post before I'd put the second poem, but I have now. The Eur0 Mini Disco next!

Marion McCready said...

"Did you know Jimmy Hendrix pished on this lyre?" hard to read past this line, laughing so much.