Friday, August 28, 2009

Things that make me laugh


I't’s childish and immature, of course, but there is a paragraph from Martin Amis' ‘Money’ that has made me laugh all week. Not continually, of course, but out loud in a kind of intermittent fashion. It has brightened a week which otherwise has been filled by autumnal storms, work and low level disappointments. I don't know how long it will last, but it's been good. You probably won't find it funny at all.

The main character John Self is trying to cast a movie. He is talking to Martin Amis (small conceit here), who plays himself in the novel, about a projected fight between two of the stars, Lorne Guyland and Spunk Davis.

“”Which fight?”
“The one between Lorne and Spunk. You know, the big fight.”
“No-one’s going to believe that name.”
“Yea yea, we’re talking to him about it. You see, lots of Americans are called names like that. They’ve all got names like Orifice and Handjob. They don’t notice. They think it’s cool.”


The Amis family is good at providing me with longstanding amusement. Jim Dickson’s reaction on finding an archery target in the his pretentious professor’s attic in Kingsley Amis’ ‘Lucky Jim’ has stayed with me for 30 years.

6 comments:

hope said...

Oh do share, she who is married to the Archery Shop owner requested politely.

Just the quote you left in answer to that meme made me laugh all morning. :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Rachel Fox said...

Disappointments? Never. They're all material...

You make me laugh a lot more than anything any Amis ever did, wrote or said. That thing on facebook about the pariah state for a start. I still think you should have a show on Radio Scotland. Except you'd be banned within a week.

Tickets for October on sale in Montrose now. There was a queue round the block last I looked.

x

Hugh McMillan said...

a small block, I bet

Rachel Fox said...

Never mind that - go and buy your train ticket for October. Fridays are busy and you won't get a seat if you don't get it now. Also if you buy it now you will save us all money!
x

Titus said...

I laughed.

You're paying him?!

Rachel Fenton said...

I dunno which is funnier..front of shop, or back here...priceless!